Physical and Emotional Well Being
Taking Care of Our Physical and Emotional Well Being During This Time Of Change
We are not as young as we used to be and now we are suddenly parents again.
This is NOT a bad thing!
Actually for me it’s been a very amazing rewarding experience. I just love my grandson to pieces! But on the flip side there are a lot of things that are very different when you are parenting again at an older age, such as:
- Energy Level – This is a BIG one for me. In my head I am still in my 20’s and think I can accomplish the same amount in a day as I did when I was way younger, lol! So my list of things to do in one day far exceeds the reality of what I actually CAN accomplish. We need to learn to go a little easy on ourselves in this area.
- Health Issues – Some of us may have health issues ranging from mild to severe. Health problems can sometimes be even harder to deal with when we are so busy taking care of a child(ren).
- Stress – Oh, yes, there will be plenty of extra stresses involved! Raising children is a lot of work and depending on the situation there could be some emotional issues with your grandchild(ren) that need to be worked through and addressed. This is pretty much a given considering children will most certainly at the very least feel abandoned or not wanted by their parents (of course there are many other feelings they might be experiencing too). Not to mention the regular growing up stresses that occur.
- Finances – This could also be somewhat of a hardship, and stressful. It’s expensive to raise children, so there could be some budgeting that needs to happen or help that is needed from outside sources.
- Fitting in with other parents – This is difficult at times since most of the other parents are much younger. In my case I’ve noticed that some have their own little cliques and they are just not interested in including me. (Totally their loss!). My point of view on this is that they could probably learn a lot from me, and I could learn a lot from them.
- Social Life – Ok, this pretty much disappears for the most part for a lot of us. It’s okay with me though, I have a wonderful little boy to hang out with all the time! Of course I do have friends to spend time with but most of the time it’s me and Mario.
There are many other changes that can take place when you take on the responsibility of raising your grandchild(ren) or another family member’s child. While these changes take some getting used to, you will find that in no time at all your new life parenting again will be your normal way of life. Always remember that you need to take care of yourself too!
The biggest thing is the love you have for your grandchild(ren) and with that love things will work out just fine! Open your heart and you will begin to find amazement and wonder by viewing life once again through the eyes of a child.
Your comments, advice and tips are always welcome.